What are 10 fun facts about Mars?
- Mars Had Water In The Ancient Past:
- Mars Has Frozen Water Today:
- Mars Used To Have A Thicker Atmosphere:
- Mars Has Some Extreme Highs And Lows In Terrain:
- Mars Has Two Moons – And One Of Them Is Doomed:
- We Have Pieces Of Mars On Earth:
- Mars Would Kill An Unprotected Astronaut Quickly:
What’s unique about Mars? Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun – a dusty, cold, desert world with a very thin atmosphere. Mars is also a dynamic planet with seasons, polar ice caps, canyons, extinct volcanoes, and evidence that it was even more active in the past.
What are 50 interesting facts about Mars?
- 01Mars measures 6,780 km across at its equator.
- 02It also orbits the Sun at an average distance of 227.9 million km.
- 03The surface of Mars measures an area of 144,798,500 km².
- 04A Martian day is only 40 minutes longer than a single day on Earth.
- 05In contrast, a Martian year lasts 687 days long.
Why is Mars red? Well, a lot of rocks on Mars are full of iron, and when they’re exposed to the great outdoors, they ‘oxidize’ and turn reddish – the same way an old bike left out in the yard gets all rusty. When rusty dust from those rocks gets kicked up in the atmosphere, it makes the martian sky look pink.