What do you find most interesting about the Vikings?
- They came from Scandinavia.
- Viking means “pirate raid”
- But they weren’t all pirates.
- They didn’t wear helmets with horns on.
- In fact, most may not have worn helmets at all.
- A Viking landed on American shores long before Columbus.
- Leif’s father was the first Viking to set foot in Greenland.
What did Vikings do for fun? Vikings engaged in running, swimming, tug-of-war called toga-honk and wrestling. Vikings also played a ball game with stick and ball. It wasn’t uncommon for someone to get hurt or even killed, as Vikings played rough. Women did not participate in these games, but they would gather to watch the men.
What made the Vikings unique? Experts in the element of surprise
One of the reasons for this was the Vikings’ superior mobility. Their longships – with a characteristic shallow-draft hull – made it possible to cross the North Sea and to navigate Europe’s many rivers and appear out of nowhere, or bypass hostile land forces.
Why is so little known about Vikings? In Scandinavia the Viking Age is regarded as part of prehistory because there are practically no contemporary written sources. Even in western Europe, the Viking Age is often seen as part of the ‘Dark Ages’, from which comparatively few historical records have survived.